Fall Winter Spring Poem of the Week for Kindergarten and 1st, Shared Reading
This Poem of the Week for kindergarten and 1st grade bundle for Fall, Winter, and Spring offers many opportunities. Use them for shared reading, working on alphabet recognition and sounds, CVC words, high frequency words, recognizing white space and punctuation, and on vocabulary building. A Poem of the Week for kindergarten and 1st grade routine helps kids grow reading skills and easily includes all students from low to high.
PDF – 496 pages
This Poem of the Week for kindergarten and 1st grade bundle for Fall, Winter, and Spring offers many opportunities. Use them for shared reading, working on alphabet recognition and sounds, CVC words, high frequency words, recognizing white space and punctuation, and on vocabulary building. A Poem of the Week routine helps kids grow reading skills and easily includes all students from low to high.
HOW THIS POEM OF THE WEEK YEARLY BUNDLE HELPS STUDENTS:
These short four lined poems can be extremely helpful with connecting voice to print, working on beginning sounds, identifying words in text, building high frequency word fluency, and decoding skills for CVC words.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE POEM OF THE WEEK YEARLY BUNDLE:
Each of the poems are set up like the preview. You get:
- the poem in color and black and white on a single page
- the poem on separate pages for instruction
- the poem with and without touchpoints for modeling
- the words from the poem on cards for use in pocket charts
- words in isolation from the poem for print match
- and the poem in book form.
~12 pages per set AND 38 sets included. You get 456 pages of content in all.
TEACHING SUGGESTIONS FOR A POEM OF THE WEEK ROUTINE:
When I use them, I begin by teaching the poem for memorization. I project them on a smartboard and model whole group. Then, in small group, we practice with touchpoints initially and gradually move to independently “reading”. If your students are able to accurately track the print, they are on their way to reading.
In small group, I play games such as I spy to find letters with the sound ???, find sightwords, find words that rhyme with ???. You can work on identifying words in isolation as well. The poem in book form can be sent home for practice. The key is making poem of the week activities part of your routine. Over time, you’ll be amazed at how quickly your kids are reading. The sets are also great for intervention sessions.
MORE ABOUT THIS POEM OF THE WEEK FOR KINDERGARTEN & 1ST GRADE BUNDLE:
Prek-K classrooms often teach in themes or focus on a letter of the week. My hope is that you can work them into the themes you are teaching (SEE BELOW FOR LIST). Remember, the poems can be projected on your Smartboards or printed for students to handle. Use them in whole group, small group, in pairs, or individually.
I typically use one poem for each week, but pace according to your students’ needs. Repetition is the key to developing automaticity, so practice daily is important. Pull out your favorite pointers, and let your kids be teacher for the day. The poems also work well for repeated reading with parent volunteers, for sight word hunts, for letter recognition, and of course, concept of word. Your students will love the poem of the week for kindergarten and 1st grade bundles!
TOPICS INCLUDES IN THIS POEM OF THE WEEK FOR KINDERGARTEN & 1ST GRADE YEARLY BUNDLE:
- Starting school
- Polar Bears
- Gingerbread Man
- Reindeer Party
- Easter Bunny
- Rainy Weather
- Father’s Day
- Mother’s Day
This bundle includes 38 SEASONAL POETRY SETS (12 pages each) for the time of year between August and June. All of these poems are intended to go with themed units you typically teach. If you love the looks of this bundle, you might consider the originalr bundle described below.
Please Note-This resource has been combined with an Animals A to Z and Nursery Rhyme Resources to form my POEM OF THE WEEK MEGA BUNDLE (INCLUDES 78 POETRY SETS AND 936 PAGES)
OTHER K/1 POEM OF THE WEEK BUNDLES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- Fall Poem of the Week for K/1
- Winter Poem of the Week for K/1
- Spring Poem of the Week for K/1
- Nursery Rhymes Poem of the Week
- Spring Poem of the Week | Boom Cards (digital version)
- Nursery Rhymes Poem of the Week | Boom Cards (digital version)
- Animals A to Z Poem of the Week
GET THEM ALL!
WHAT TEACHERS HAVE HAD TO SAY ABOUT POEM OF THE WEEK BUNDLES:
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Academic Intervention Services in Room 11 (TpT Seller) says, “Super wonderful resource! I utilize this with students who are identified as in need of remediation in my AIS (Academic Intervention Service). Thanks for all of your hard work and dedication.”
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Mary G says, “I have bought and love all of your concept of word poems and activities! Now with the updated version, there is so much more to love! Great for teaching Kinders concept of word which is so important to reading! Thank you!”
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Crystal C. says, “I have used this so much already! It has been such a great resource! Thanks!”
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Rose Holland (TpT Seller) says, “Great resource. Gives you everything you need for a COW reading group!”
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Christie B. says, “Used w/ lower level first grade student. Great – all the work was done for me. Thanks.”
STANDARDS ADDRESSED WITH THIS RESOURCE:
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1 Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic features of print.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.A Follow words from left to right, top to bottom, and page by page.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.B Recognize that spoken words are represented in written language by specific sequences of letters.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.C Understand that words are separated by spaces in print.
- VA SOLR.K.4.c The student will understand how print is organized and read. Distinguish between print and pictures.
- VA SOLR.K.4.d The student will understand how print is organized and read. Follow words from left to right and from top to bottom on a printed page.
- VA SOLR.K.4.e The student will understand how print is organized and read. Match voice with print.
Copyright © Comprehension Connection.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.