Poem of the Week for Kindergarten and 1st Grade Mega Bundle 78 Poetry Sets
Working to enrich early readers while supporting nonreaders too? This “Poem of the Week” resource for kindergarten and first-grade students will ignite a love for poetry and learning in your young ones with 78 poetry sets to choose from and ~1000+ pages. Save TONS of $$ with this yearly bundle!
Working to enrich early readers while supporting nonreaders too? This “Poem of the Week” resource for kindergarten and first-grade students will ignite a love for poetry and learning in your young ones with 78 poetry sets to choose from and ~1000+ pages.
This resource is designed to captivate and engage young minds with a carefully curated selection of delightful poems that are perfect for k/1 kids. Each week, a new poem is introduced, and students are encouraged to read it with you, recite it, work on word work with you, and more!
HERE’S WHAT YOU GET…
- seasonal poems
- nursery rhymes, and
- animal themed poetry sets.
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS…
- Use them for shared reading to model connecting voice to print
- Work on beginning sounds
- Identify words in text
- Build sightword fluency, and
- Identify words in isolation.
You have ample options to choose from for an entire year of learning fun. Great for tutoring, small group, workstations, and for parents to have at home!
WHAT IS INCLUDED WITH EACH POETRY SET (10 PAGES)
- Teaching Posters-One sentence per page..great for projecting
- Touchpoint Grids for students to practice matching spoken word to text.
- Sentence Strips-Each poem comes on sentence strips with and without touchpoints for scaffolding.
- Pocket Chart Cards-Each poem comes on individual cards for sentence mixing and fixing.
- Book Form-Use the pictures to teach the poem. Then, practice it in book form. For advanced students, use it for reading.
- Vocabulary Word Cards-Match text, identify rhyme, or practice decoding.
- Page form-Collect these in poetry folders for your students to reread after they’ve been taught. At the end of the year, your students will have a great keepsake for summer reading too.
TEACHING SUGGESTIONS FOR SETTING UP A POEM OF THE WEEK ROUTINE:
- The teachers models with a projection of the teaching posters on a smartboard.
- Once students have memorized the poem, they continue working on tracking and reading the poem.
- In small groups, practice words in isolation, constructing sentences, identifying sightwords and beginning sounds, rhyming words, reading punctuation, tracking, and matching print.
- Move it to a literacy station for those who are ready to practice on their own or with an assistant.
MORE ABOUT MY POEM OF THE WEEK BUNDLES:
Prek-K classrooms often teach in themes. My hope is that you can work one of the poetry sets into every theme you are teaching. Remember, the poems can be projected on your Smartboards or printed for students to handle. Use them in whole group, small group, in pairs, or individually. I typically use one poem for each week, but pace according to your students’ needs. Repetition is the key to developing COW, so practice daily is important. Pull out your favorite pointers, and let your kids be teacher for the day.
TOPICS INCLUDES IN THIS POEM OF THE WEEK BUNDLE:
- Starting school
- Polar Bears
- Gingerbread Man
- Reindeer Party
- Easter Bunny
- Rainy Weather
- Father’s Day
- Mother’s Day
- Hickory Dickory Dock
- Hey Diddle Diddle
- Baa Baa Black Sheep
- Humpty Dumpty
- Itsy Bitsy Spider
- Jack and Jill
- Little Bo Peep
- Little Miss Muffet
- Mary had a Little Lamb
- Rain Rain Go Away
- Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
- I’m a Little Teapot
- Black bears
- Sea lion
- X-ray fish
*78* poems in all and 791 pages
WHAT TEACHERS HAVE HAD TO SAY ABOUT POEM OF THE WEEK BUNDLES:
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Academic Intervention Services in Room 11 (TpT Seller) says, “Super wonderful resource! I utilize this with students who are identified as in need of remediation in my AIS (Academic Intervention Service). Thanks for all of your hard work and dedication.”
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Rhonda H. says, “My children were so much better prepared for first grade after using this bundle!!”
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Crystal C. says, “I have used this so much already! It has been such a great resource! Thanks!”
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Rose Holland (TpT Seller) says, “Great resource. Gives you everything you need for a COW reading group!”
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Christie B. says, “Used w/ lower level first grade student. Great – all the work was done for me. Thanks.”
OTHER K/1 POEM OF THE WEEK BUNDLES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- Fall Poem of the Week for K/1
- Winter Poem of the Week for K/1
- Spring Poem of the Week for K/1
- Nursery Rhymes Poem of the Week
- Poem of the Week Yearly Bundle
- Spring Poem of the Week | Boom Cards (digital version)
- Nursery Rhymes Poem of the Week | Boom Cards (digital version)
GET THEM ALL!
STANDARDS ADDRESSED WITH THIS RESOURCE:
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1 Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic features of print.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.A Follow words from left to right, top to bottom, and page by page.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.B Recognize that spoken words are represented in written language by specific sequences of letters.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.C Understand that words are separated by spaces in print.
- VA SOLR.K.4.c The student will understand how print is organized and read. Distinguish between print and pictures.
- VA SOLR.K.4.d The student will understand how print is organized and read. Follow words from left to right and from top to bottom on a printed page.
- VA SOLR.K.4.e The student will understand how print is organized and read. Match voice with print.
Copyright © Comprehension Connection.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.