INTRODUCING WILD READERS CAMP
The Camp Expeerience
The Basic Plan
- Camp is fun, and the kids begin to see reading as a fun activity versus hard work when it’s relaxed and comfy.
- Because we are able to work in such a small setting, the teachers helping with the camp get to know the students well too making an important connection.
- They are able to recognize student strengths and weaknesses which helps prepare for the coming year.
- With the library open for camp, we are also able to offer library check out and Accelerated Reader time to all other students. The last forty five minutes of camp was offered to anyone wishing to check out, and many took advantage of the opportunity.
- Teachers get to choose how and what they want to teach in our program, so for me, that is liberating. The time is not focused on following a pacing guide or set standard, but is just meant to keep our students reading and engaged.
- For parents, it keeps the kids socializing and busy with positive activities versus being home watching tv.