Mittens by Lola Schaefer is a sweet beginning reader about Mittens, the cat. This unit would work well for first grade level readers. Just print and go! Use for guided reading, partner work, or literature circles.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE UNIT FOR MITTENS BY LOLA SCHAEFER:
- schema builder about cats
- story vocabulary cards and organizer
- BME organizer
- favorite scene writing prompt
- making connections
- responding to comprehension questions (task cards and recording sheet)
- comparing fiction and nonfiction anchor chart and organizer
- writing prompt for “Mittens Adventures”
- sequencing events organizer
- four square thinking page
There are 19 pages included for teachers to choose skills that fit curriculum needs.
HOW TEACHERS CAN USE THIS UNIT FOR MITTENS BY LOLA SCHAEFER:
The pages can be printed and put under a document camera for group discussion or projected using TPT Easel. Students can work in teams to brainstorm ideas when working in whole group or work on specific skills with the teacher in guided reading groups. Teachers can also use this resource for book clubs for more independent readers.
WHAT OTHER TEACHERS THOUGHT OF THIS UNIT:
~Fun activities to go along with the book.
~Very cute! Fun for my homeschooled kindergartner. Some worksheets would have been too difficult for him to complete on his own, so we used them to spark discussions — but I expected that before purchasing.
~Used this for my tutoring session and it was very effective.
OTHER TITLES YOU MIGHT LIKE FOR YOUNG READERS:
© 2019,2023 Comprehension Connection by Carla Fedeler All rights reserved.