So just what does a wild reader look like in the classroom?
- When kids are waiting for Library checkout, PE, or Music.
- During transition minutes between classes if you’re departmentalized.
- After work is completed.
- While waiting for the bus at the end of the day
- Before, during, and after lunch and recess.
- As students are arriving to school (This is a great way to de-stress and prepare for the day.)
- During guided reading rotations
Important point…You must always be prepared for a reading emergency, and we need to help our students recognize the importance of carrying a book everywhere in order for them to open it and read. To create wild readers, we each need to look at our day and find places where we can give 5-10 minutes blocks of time toward independent reading.