The Eve of the Emperor Penguin is an exciting and educational book for kids, especially during the winter months. During this time, you can take a unique classroom journey and learn more about these amazing animals. This novel study includes lots of skill work which will spark interest in penguins.
Teaching ideas using eve of the emperor penguin
If you’re looking for a great read to enjoy during the cold winter months, then look no further than Eve of the Emperor Penguin! This guided reading unit is filled with various before/during/after activities and vocabulary tailored to each chapter. Each chapter is also centered around an important comprehension skill that teaches the reader valuable lessons. Here’s a list of the skills included:
- making predictions
- problem and solution
- character traits
- question types
- citing text evidence
- author’s purpose
- making comparisons and connections,
- and drawing conclusions
Engaging kids with group discussion
Reading the book, Eve of the Emperor Penguin, is an engaging way to promote group discussion and cooperation. This activity could be conducted with literature circles or classroom discussions. It has been tested in several classrooms and proven to be easy to facilitate for adults and other teaching assistants. An answer key is not provided, as some answers vary, but group discussion encourages higher-level thinking skills. Here’s a preview of the unit.
guiding questions for eve of the emperor penguin:
- What themes are present in the book “Eve of the Emperor Penguin”?
- How does the author use descriptive language to help the reader picture the setting in the book?
- What is the significance of the emperor penguin as a symbol in the story?
- How do the characters in the book change and develop throughout the story?
- How does the story’s setting in Antarctica impact the overall narrative?
- What is the role of family and community in the story?
- How does the author use imagery in the book to add depth to the story?
- How are you like Jack and Annie?
- What did you learn about penguins from your reading?
Preview of the Eve of the Emperor Penguin Unit
Other posts you might like:
- USING NOVEL STUDIES TO EXPAND CONTENT AREA LEARNING
- JUMPSTART YOUR PLANNING WITH THESE AMAZING IDEAS WITH A PENGUIN THEME
- PLANNING AHEAD FOR SKILL MODELING WITH WINTER RESOURCES
For teachers and students seeking a great book for the winter months, consider Eve of the Emperor Penguin! This guided reading unit has before, during, and after activities along with corresponding vocabulary. Each chapter also focuses on a specific comprehension skill that makes it perfect for both reading and educational purposes. You won’t be disappointed.